Spooky-rita

Yum

This time of year is my favorite, so I was pumped to share some fun and seasonal recipes. Also, NONE of them contain pumpkin spice. Not that I am ashamed of being basic, but it’s literally everywhere and I needed a break. My excitement quickly turned into anxiety when I was thinking about what to share first. I almost landed on ALL OF THE ABOVE but then decided several recipes in one sitting doesn’t do anyone any favors. Since Halloween is just around the corner, I decided to kick off with this spooky-rita. The original recipe was based of a virgin martini, but I only had margarita glasses to use, thus the refreshed name. I had to look for a kid friendly drink when my son really insisted that he try the sangria I made. Since that was a solid No, I had to get something kid friendly made immediately. It’s such an easy, fun drink to throw together. The blueberry sauce is the most inclusive….scratch that, the eyeballs made out of melon are the most inclusive part of the recipe, but worth it! This was purely based off the fact that I don’t have a melon baller and used a small dough scoop resulting in less than perfect melon eyeball shapes. It’s Halloween and my eyeballs have character ::insert shrugging emoji hear – followed by facepalm  emoji::

Spooky-Rita

Spooky-Rita

Ingredients

For the Blueberry Sauce

For the eyeballs

Additional Ingredients

Instructions

1. First, make the eyeballs. scoop out melon with melon baller, or if you don't have one, use a small scoop. Using toothpicks, first place the melon then a blueberry on it like a skewer. Place in the freezer.
  2. To make the blueberry sauce, Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the blueberries begin to burst. When that happens, simmer for about 1 minute more. Your sauce should have thickened but still be liquid. (saucy)
  3. To make the lemonade combine 1/2 cup of the blueberry sauce and 2 cups of the lemonade in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses of choice. (You can use a strainer when pouring to remove the skins of the blueberries if you want) Place an eyeball or two into each glass.

Notes

Original Recipe from Everyday Annie.

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Trina
    October 11, 2018 at 2:16 pm Looks and sounds yummy...just may have to adjust to an over 21 version!😉
      admin
      October 11, 2018 at 2:31 pm I'm sure it would be amazing too!!
    Alicia
    October 11, 2018 at 2:24 pm I love that you are able to adjust to what you have at hand. I do that when I cook. At times I want to make a cream sauce but I don't have the cream or the money to get the cream I need so I end up with a tomato sauce instead. It is still delicious. I also know what you mean about changing adult beverages into kid friendly ones. My son loves to copy what I do in most things. One year I had a Mikes Hard Lemonade sitting on the table and he walks over and starts chugging it. I couldn't get to him fast enough to make him stop. I had to explain that he could drink that due to the alcohol in it. From now on we always tell him it is an adult drink and we get him the sparkling grape juice when we intend to have adult beverages. He is always the first to lead a toast. HAHA. I will definitely add this to my 'MUST TRY' list. Thank you
      admin
      October 11, 2018 at 2:33 pm I always think I'm prepared, and often I am, but there are times when I just have to get creative. That's what is so fun about cooking! Kids are fast. My son was SO upset he couldn't have sangria. We've been encouraging more of what we eat, since he's SO picky, and this was one time I had to say no haha! Such a good idea to have a fun substitute ready! :)
    kristen knight
    October 11, 2018 at 2:38 pm oh my goodness. This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it. I'm always looking for good recipes that have some sort of fruit, especially berries, in them, so I'm excited to give this a try.
      admin
      October 11, 2018 at 2:44 pm Thank you! It's such a great balance and perfect any time of the year!
    Nikki
    October 11, 2018 at 3:44 pm What a great idea for Halloween. These drinks are totally adorable and healthy, too!
      admin
      October 11, 2018 at 4:15 pm Thank you! They were SO fun to make.
    Dee
    October 11, 2018 at 9:26 pm Looks amazing and delicious! I'm going to try and make them soon.