I have been elbow deep in citrus since this weekend, but before I share those delish recipes, I needed to share these salted caramel brownies. These brownies are something else. When I think of my favorite dessert, I tend to favor a brownie. So I found these and tried them, and it was love at first bite. I wish I were kidding. I literally had to pull myself away. They are so rich and the combination of sweet and salty is perfect. They are gooey because of the salted caramel mixed in. Also, the extra salt sprinkled on top…. I need these in my life right now. They were a bit high maintenance as homemade brownies go, but it was worth the extra effort. I would highly recommend letting these cool completely before even attempting to cut them. I mean they are literally delicious no matter what, but they were also a bit messy because I dove in too early. No complaints here though!
Salted Caramel Brownies
For the caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 12/ cup heavy cream, slightly warmed
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the brownies
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp Dutch - process cocoa powder
- 11 oz. chocolate, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- To make the caramel sauce, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat. Cook stirring frequently until the mixture becomes deep amber in color and reaches 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour in the warm cream, in a steady stream down the side of the pan, whisking constantly to incorporate before adding more. Once all the cream has been incorporated, stir in the fleur de sel and sour cream. Set aside to cool while you prepare the brownie batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or lightly greased foil. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk to blend well. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the chopped chocolate and butter. Warn in short intervals (about 30 seconds), stirring between until everything is melted and the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the sugars and then the eggs. Whisk in the vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined and no streaks remain.
- Spread about half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Drizzle the caramel over the top in an even layer. Top with the remaining brownie batter, smoothing gently over the caramel completely covering it. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Remove to a wire rack and let cool. Combine the fleur de sel and coarse sugar. Sprinkle over the top of the brownies. Let cool completely before slicing.
Recipe from Everyday Annie.