Homemade Royal Velvet Ice Cream

Yum

Happy Valentine’s Day friends! I know, this day is so overdone, but I’m always in for a day that’s going to celebrate love. So go overboard and celebrate it! Do we go crazy here? Certainly not. But I do love a good theme and love is a theme I can get behind. This dessert is indulgent. Like waaaaay indulgent. But it’s also delicious in a way that words cannot describe. I feel like red velvet is something people either love or hate, it’s flavor is interesting. I will admit I am not an uber red velvet lover, but I do love ice cream. Homemade ice cream is a labor of love. There is so much waiting. It’s almost torture. One of the most important lessons I’ve learned is this really should be a two day process. Let your liquid chill overnight. It’s supposed to be cold when you put it into your ice cream maker. I think letting it sit even 4 hours is not quite cold enough. Just let it settle overnight and the result is amazing. The flavors here are different than a red velvet cake. For me there were more hints of chocolate here, with the cream cheese frosting swirled in and the custard like ice cream base, this dessert is one for those special moments.ย I do think people who are not into red velvet would also really enjoy this. The cream cheese frosting alone is worth trying this out.

Homemade Royal Velvet Ice Cream

Homemade Royal Velvet Ice Cream

Instructions

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, 3/4 cup of sugar, and cocoa powder. Heat over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until warmed through and the sugar and cocoa have dissolved into the cream. Meanwhile, in a large measuring cup, combine the egg yolks and remaining 3 tbsp of sugar. Whisk until smooth. Once the cream mixture is warm, slowly pour it into the measuring cup with the egg yolks, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Return the egg/cream mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium high heat.
  2. Cook the egg mixture, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the mixture through a strainer into a bowl or storage container. Stir in the butter milk, food coloring, and vanilla. Cover and chill in your refrigerator overnight.
  3. Just before you are ready to freeze the ice cream, make the frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until it's light and fluffy. Add in the confectioners' sugar and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Blend in the vanilla and heavy cream. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a storage container alternating layers of ice cream and frosting. Transfer to the freezer and freeze until firm.

Notes

Recipe from Everyday Annie.

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

Kristina
    February 15, 2018 at 11:00 am This looks like an incredible recipe, I love making Ice Cream at home but I use my Ice cream maker, will this work for that? I could use the ice cream maker, then when done in there it still has to be frozen more so that is when I'd layer in the frosting....
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 12:12 pm Thank you! I used my ice cream maker too. Mine attaches to my kitchen aid. I'm not sure if you have the same kind, but basically what I did was first let the liquid cool, then placed it in the fridge overnight. Once it was super chilled, I put it in the ice cream maker to do it's thing. While it was in there, I made the frosting. When the ice cream maker was done, I transferred 1/2 the ice cream to a container, then spread the cream cheese frosting over that, then topped with the remaining ice cream. Then I let the whole thing freeze a bit more. Depending on the ice cream maker you have, it might be slightly different, but I think you could basically follow the same steps to get a similar result.
    Tiffany
    February 15, 2018 at 11:33 am This sounds amazing! I may have to try this, my FIL just got an ice cream maker for Christmas maybe I will let him try the recipe in that :) Thanks for sharing!
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 12:14 pm Yes!! It's so good! I hope you enjoy it!
    Jennifer Morrison
    February 15, 2018 at 11:34 am This looks like a labor of love, but well worth the wait!! I love red velvet cake, and am excited to try this as well! I think it would pair so lovely with a white cake and white frosting. Let the ice cream be the star!
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 12:15 pm It definitely was! But so worth it. I'm not even a red velvet super fan, but loved this. I totally agree!
    Melanie
    February 15, 2018 at 11:47 am Oh this sounds heavenly! I love Valentines Day too! I can't wait to try this ice cream.
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 12:15 pm Thank you!I hope you enjoy it!
    Jess
    February 15, 2018 at 2:48 pm I love Red Velvet everything! This looks amazing and What a vibrant color!
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 4:44 pm Thank you!
    Jonee
    February 15, 2018 at 5:21 pm I love all things red velvet and this looks easy and delicious. I would love to try it myself!
      admin
      February 15, 2018 at 11:26 pm You will definitely enjoy this!