You guys, I feel like I found a treasure with these little gummies. They are tasty and full of healthy benefits, like protecting you from catching a cold. Let me tell you, I made these for the first time last year and while the plague made its way around our office, I did not get sick once. Not once!!! I’m not sure if it was the magical gummies or the hospital grade immunities that I because….daycare… but the combo worked. Tis the season for sickness and who has time for that? The Holidays are coming, and nothing is worse than getting sick around the Holidays. Also, we are gearing up for our trip to Disney World on MONDAY! I cannot believe it’s almost vacation time, but again, who has time for sickness during vacation. Not this girl! So I’ve been taking two of these little guys every morning (or night if I forget which I often do). I will say that last year I ran out of gummies and just made the syrup. A couple spoonful’s of this does the trick. As always, if you are concerned about anything, consult with your Dr. before taking anything. It’s natural, but you should be sure any medication you are on will not cause an adverse reaction. In addition to this, I was drinking some ginger turmeric tea with manuka honey every morning at work. I was also using tea tree oil on my face, because apparently it has acne healing properties….and also some serious health benefits. I should also mention I wash my hands a ton, especially during this time of year. Call it luck, call it the routine, who knows for sure, but I would highly recommend a batch of these guys to get you through the winter months.
- Combine the elderberries, water, and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and stir in the manuka honey. Measure one cup of the syrup for the gummies. Let the remaining syrup cool before storing in the fridge.
- For the gummies, stir the warm syrup into the gelatin to activate it. Add the hot water and whisk until smooth. If the gelatin does not dissolve completely, reheat a bit to help the gelatin dissolve.
- Place the silicon molds on a cookie sheet. Drop one dose of Vitamin D into each gummie well, and then carefully pour the syrup mixture into each mold.
- Place the cookie sheets in the fridge and chill until firm. Pop the gummies out of the molds and place in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe from the Baker Chick